On Monday, Shares of Merck & Co., Inc. (NYSE:MRK), SUBTRACT -1.00% and closed at $61.52 in the last trading session. MRKstock opened its last trade at $62.05 and after floating in a range of $60.80 to $62.05. The company’s Market capitalization is $169.11 Billion with the total Outstanding Shares of 2.77 Billion. During the 52-week trading session the minimum price at which share price traded, registered at $47.97 and reached to max level of $64.87. Merck (MRK), known as MSD outside the United States and Canada, declared recently that Merck Research Laboratories (MRL) facilities in Rahway, N.J., and West Point, Pa., have been designated as “Milestones in Microbiology” sites by the American Society for Microbiology (ASM) for their contributions to anti-infectives and vaccines, respectively. This is the first time a biopharmaceutical company has received this recognition. The ASM Milestones in Microbiology program recognizes institutions and scientists that have made noteworthycontributions toward advancing the science of microbiology.
“Merck is honored to be the first biopharmaceutical company to receive this recognition from the American Society for Microbiology as we celebrate our 125th anniversary,” said Dr. Roger M. Perlmutter, president, Merck Research Laboratories. “We are proud of our legacy of antimicrobial research and remain steadfast in our commitment to treating and preventing infectious diseases.”
The MRL facilities were designated as ASM Milestones in Microbiology sites in recognition of the company’s research and development efforts counting:
- Advancing a method of deep tank fermentation, in partnershipwith other pharmaceutical companies and government agencies, which paved the way for the mass production of penicillin.
- Working with Selman Waksman (Rutgers University, N.J.) to secure one of the earliest formal collaborations between private industry and academia. This partnershipled to the demonstration that streptomycin was effective for the treatment of tuberculosis.
- Establishing a natural product screening program that facilitated Merck researchers to develop several new antibiotic medicines by culturing and screening organisms sampled from sites all over the world.
- Developing a treatment for river blindness (onchocerciasis) for which Merck scientist William Campbell shared the 2015 Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine.
- Developing a portfolio of vaccines for the prevention of several viral and bacterial infections; research led by the pioneering vaccinologist Dr. Maurice Hilleman.
Yamana Gold Inc. (USA) (NYSE:AUY), jumped 1.10% and closed at $3.69 in the last trading session. AUYstock opened its last trade at $3.68 and after floating in a range of $3.64 to $3.74. The company’s Market capitalization is $3.39 Billion with the total Outstanding Shares of 947.60 Million. During the 52-week trading session the minimum price at which share price traded, registered at $1.38 and reached to max level of $5.99. YAMANA GOLD INC. (YRI.TO) (AUY) (“Yamana” or “the Company”) is happy to declare that its wholly owned partner, Brio Gold Inc. (“Brio Gold”), has filed a preliminary prospectus with the securities regulatory authorities in each of the provinces and territories of Canada in connection with qualifying a secondary offering (the “Offering”) of Brio Gold common shares held by Yamana (the “Brio Shares”), which will be transferred to purchasers through and subject to the exercise of purchase rights (the “Purchase Rights”). Yamana intends to distribute the Purchase Rights to its shareholders (the “Yamana Shareholders”) as a dividend in-kind. The Purchase Rights shall provide Yamana Shareholders with an opportunity to purchase from Yamana a portion of its Brio Shares. The exercise price will be determined in the context of the market before the filing of a final prospectus. The effect of the Offering will be to spin-off Brio Gold as a standalone public company on the closing of the Offering (the “Spin-Off”).
The Spin-Off is being undertaken for the benefit of Yamana Shareholders and is the final stage of a plan that the Company implemented starting in 2014 to surface value from certain non-core properties in Brazil. Completion of the Spin-Off will also facilitate Yamana to better focus on its portfolio of six, soon to be seven, producing mines in top mining jurisdictions and on its organic growth pipeline. In particular, Yamana will be better positioned to focus on recent exploration success, optimization programs, and on advancing Canadian exploration and near-term development opportunities.